Online information evening: Certificate in Health & Wellness Coaching and Diploma in Coaching & Behavioural Change - Tuesday 10th October, 7pm
Please contact the office to register on 01 531 1150 or via the button below
Health and Wellness Coaching has developed as an exciting and incredibly successful healthcare profession over the past 30 years in the USA, melding together the best of behaviour change theories, humanistic psychology and life coaching. It recognises that most individuals know what they should be doing to ensure optimum health, have been told what to do by numerous healthcare professionals, but still can’t change their habits. Health coaches use specific communication techniques to empower individuals to take responsibility for their own health and to adopt long term healthy lifestyle choices. This can dramatically improve patient compliance and practitioner success rates, making this discipline an excellent add-on for any healthcare professional. Health and wellness coaching is still an emerging field in Europe but is well recognised internationally as a vital profession within the 21st century healthcare system. Studying health and wellness coaching will propel you into a rapidly growing and well accepted discipline in both orthodox and complementary healthcare due to the evidence that demonstrates it’s role in improved patient outcomes, medical compliance, employee health and productivity, and lower healthcare costs. See the evidence here. IHS is offering this ICF approved ACSTH programme in partnership with Real Balance Global Wellness Services, Inc.
This comprehensive 3 months in class or 2 months online practitioner training certificate, written to UK level 4 (Irish level 6) is designed to offer healthcare professionals the skills to help patients make lasting lifestyle change in a way they have never been able to manage before. With 42 in-class or 32 online hours, it ensures that students develop practical coaching skills in motivational interviewing, building an alliance with clients, understanding ‘readiness to change’, goal setting & planning and coaching in different healthcare settings. It is important to note that health coaching is not, however, just about building a rapport with clients and communicating effectively with them. Whilst these skills are hugely important, true health coaching requires the practitioner to step back from their usual role as educator and instead focus on becoming an ally to clients. This course will teach students how to do this effectively and to encourage individuals to take responsibility for their own health and develop personal strategies to change that work for them. This is a step-by-step process and may involve regular and numerous face to face, telephone and email consultations.
Real Balance Global Wellness Services, Inc., in association with the Institute of Health Sciences, is proud to introduce this course to Ireland and the UK. Real Balance Global Wellness Services, Inc. is approved by the International Coaching Federation (ICF) as an ACSTH (a training organisation offering Approved Coach Specific Training Hours). This means that students taking this course through IHS can apply for 37 hours of ACSTH credit that can help them pursue an ICF professional credential in coaching, if they so choose.
Real Balance has trained thousands of wellness and health coaches worldwide and its training is recognised and approved by the American College of Sports Medicine, The American Holistic Nurses Association and The National Commission for Health Education Credentialing. Real Balance founder and CEO, Michael Arloski, Ph.D., PCC, CWP, is a founding father of the wellness coaching field. A licensed psychologist and professional certified coach with over thirty years of professional contribution to the field of wellness, he serves as a member of the Board of Directors of The National Wellness Institute (www.nationalwellness.org), and is a founding member of the executive committee of the National Consortium For Credentialing Health and Wellness Coaches (www.ncchwc.org). Michael is the author of Wellness Coaching For Lasting Lifestyle Change – the seminal book of the wellness coaching field, used by many universities and coach training schools. He keynotes, consults and trains on lifestyle improvement and wellness coaching, taking his message of wellness around the globe. You can read an interview with Michael, in 2 parts, here and here.
“This course is the “missing link” in treatment plans – it is possible to have all the knowledge and skills in the world, but if you don’t know how to support your client to make the changes, it is difficult to achieve the results. I believe that the coaching skills will help to transform my practice as a herbalist. Thanks for an excellent training!”
Certificate in Health and Wellness Coaching Graduate, Naturopath and Herbalist
This ICF recognised course offers ALL healthcare professionals the chance to develop skills that are essential to helping patients/clients make real and lasting lifestyle changes that can have a profound impact on their long term health outcomes.
- Become one of the first Health and Wellness Coaches. Join the new generation of healthcare professionals
- Help clients make a real, positive and long term difference to their lives. Develop the skills required to effectively help clients to facilitate changes in the long term, overcome barriers to change and improve their health
- Receive a Digital toolkit of all Wellness Mapping 360 paperwork needed to start practising. Wellness Mapping 360 is a health and wellness coaching model that gives graduates a framework that provides a systematic way to work with individuals over a number of coaching sessions
- Constantly updated material. All modules have a module leader responsible for them. The role of the module leader is to continually update the material delivered in lectures, student notes and online, set and mark assignments and to answer student queries on the module forums. This keeps IHS material up to date using evidenced based research and the very latest theories in healthcare.
- Comprehensive and well structured study material supplied. Including presentation slides, written notes, case studies, video clips, quizzes and short answer questions and the opportunities to reflect on your knowledge – all designed to make the learning experience as interactive as possible
- Dynamic and interactive lecture weekends and webinars. Designed to suit all learning types and engage students in the learning process. Lecture weekends include a mixture of formal lectures, group discussion, group exercises and role play
- Recognised for 37 Approved Coach Specific Training Hours (ACSTH) with the International Coach Federation (ICF)
- Recognised for CPD points with NTOI and others
- Open yourself up to limitless opportunities in the healthcare arena
- The IHS commitment to pastoral care and student support. IHS have a dedicated student support officer to help struggling students or those with specific learning difficulties. We ensure that all students have access to both staff and peer support whilst studying with IHS
- Continue on with your studies. Top up to a Diploma in Coaching & Behavioural Change by completing 3 further modules on NLP, stress management and entrepreneurship or complete the CI Level 4 (UK) Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching (VRQ)
This course is split into two modules. The first covering the basic theories and practical skills associated with wellness coaching, and the second focusing on applying that knowledge to specific health challenges.
Please contact us for a lecture plan.
- Wellness from the Inside Out: What determines our health? the illness/wellness continuum, defining wellness, taking wellness one on one
- The Mindset Shift: Moving from “prescribe & treat” and “educate & implore” to “advocate & inspire”, motivational mindsets & strategies for coaching
- Wellness Coaching Skills: Overview of coaching skills and the core competencies of coaching, creating the coaching alliance, the facilitative conditions of coaching, listening skills, how to effectively work with powerful questions & inquiry, support & accountability
- Readiness For Change: Prochaska’s readiness for change theory, grief and readiness for change, development and readiness for change
- The Wellness Coaching 360° Methodology: Assessment & exploration, informal & formal wellness assessments, personal wellness map, the co-creation of the wellness plan, setting very clear goals, creating strategies to assist the client in making the changes they really want to make, accountability & support, evaluation, celebrating successes, creating strategies to maintain the change
- Powerful Wellness Coaching Tools & Methods: The self-care continuum, the power of habit, the use of motivational interviewing in resolving ambivalence, coaching for stress resiliency, ways to coach through habit, coaching the client in a stressful world
- Your Specific Coaching Challenges: Applying it all to your delivery system, working with the your specific clients, working with the your specific situations, making wellness coaching real and applicable in your establishment
- Coaching Clients with Health Challenges: Helping your client with the “Lifestyle Prescription”, coaching for medical compliance and beyond, specifics for recently diagnosed clients
- Specific Health Challenges: Coaching individuals with diabetes, heart disease and other health challenges, support for individuals with diagnosis, support for prevention, support for onset, support for adaptation – recovery, rehabilitation, reclaiming
- Proficiency in wellness coaching skills
- Proficiency in the Wellness Mapping 360°™ method of wellness coaching
- Proficiency in the use of the wellness coaching with clients who have health challenges from prevention through recovery
- Knowledge of and the ability to use “readiness for Change” to support a clients forward movement toward health & wellbeing
- An understanding of the role of wellness coaching in medical compliance
- A grounding in health promotion concepts
- Proficiency in the use of the wellness coaching conversation to resolve client ambivalence
- A working understanding of Positive Psychology and Behavioural Change Psychology as they apply to lifestyle
- An understanding of how to apply wellness/health coaching skills in different settings
- Proficiency in the development and facilitation of wellness coaching groups
The in class version of this course includes 3 full weekends of lectures/workshops/coaching practice over 3 months (1 weekend per month) and the online version 16 x 2 hour webinars (Mondays and Thursdays 7-9pm). Both options include comprehensive home study (study manuals supplied).
All students are enrolled onto the IHS learning management system. Here you will find all course material, forums, quizzes, assessments etc in one place to help you organise your study and study material as efficiently as possible. You will also upload all assessments here and can also use it to communicate directly with module leaders, other members of staff and fellow students.
This certificate is a lifelong learning course and students are accepted on to this course through a combination of academic qualifications and relevant life experience.
The minimum academic entry requirement for this course is a grade C at Junior Certificate or 4 GCSEs grades A to C. Equivalent international qualifications will also be accepted. A qualification in the healthcare or wellness industry, or in a similar related field is essential.
Applicants with Prior Learning and Experiential Prior Learning will also be considered. All knowledge, skills and competencies accumulated through life and work experience will be considered.