With this nutrition course, inspire clients towards a long term healthier diet and lifestyle using scientific knowledge and practical skills from meal planning to coaching to help them achieve their health goals
London & Dublin
About the course
This internationally recognised, Ofqual regulated UK level 4 (Irish level 6) nutrition course award is ideal for individuals who wish to gain an academically certified and industry recognised nutrition course qualification with practical knowledge of diet and nutrition.
It is designed for those wishing to coach and inspire individuals and groups towards long term diet and lifestyle changes for improved health and wellbeing. Students will gain a highly effective combination of scientific knowledge and essential practical skills in diet and nutrition, meal planning and recipe production, and communication and coaching skills in order to help different parties in achieving their health goals. This nutrition course is also ideal for those wanting to improve their knowledge of diet and nutrition in order to benefit their own health and that of their families.
Through an engaging and interactive programme of lectures, workshops, group exercises, talks from industry experts and practical assessments we examine food from farm to fork and discuss exactly how food is grown, processed and thus nutritionally depleted and the cumulative effect this can have on different systems and the body as a whole. Students discover the beneficial impact of different nutrients and foods on the body are instructed step by step how to analyse nutritional needs.
This nutrition course will give graduates the knowledge and skills to develop meal and lifestyle plans to help promote optimum health and to work long term with clients in different scenarios to embed changes. Students will explore how nutrition and lifestyle coaching can be used in different professional contexts, and an additional add-on unit will develop skills in one to one nutrition and lifestyle coaching consultations.
“This nutrition course is very detailed with a very good mixture of learning resources including video, audio, quizzes, group work with fellow students, practical sessions and using Nutritics with assignments which I enjoyed. Some topics really made me think about what is in the food we buy and the nutrients or potential toxins contained in some food. The course helped me to improve my own diet and lifestyle. The coaching aspect of the course was very interesting and will help me in a better way to assist clients to take responsibility to improve their health with knowledge and guidance. I thought overall tutor support was excellent. I feel confident after this year that I can now apply myself as a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach to enhance the health of my clients. Big thanks to the IHS Team to have such dedication to students providing a very high standard and wonderful course. Looking forward to the next level. Thank you.” Britta Stewart Dolan, Diploma in Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching Graduate
Why choose the CI Level 4 (UK) Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching (VRQ)?
- Comprehensive and well structured study material supplied. Including presentation slides, case studies, video clips, quizzes, short answer questions and opportunities to reflect on your knowledge – all designed to make the learning experience as interactive as possible
- Dynamic and interactive lecture weekends (in-class students only). Designed to suit all learning types and engage students in the learning process. Lecture weekends include a mixture of formal lectures, group discussion, group exercises, role play and case studies
- Comprehensive Clinical practice. Including live clients, recorded consultations and example case studies.
- Expert lecturers. Lecturers for the Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching include leading Nutritional Therapists, certified health and wellness coaches and health promotion experts, giving our students access to a wealth of knowledge and experience from their first day of study.
- Health and Wellness coaching underpins the Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching. Students are trained in the most effective ways of improving patient compliance; ensuring clients take responsibility for their own health, establishing how ready they are to change and then helping them overcome barriers to change
- The IHS commitment to pastoral care and student support. All Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching students are assigned a personal tutor throughout the course, all of whom are practicing Nutritional Therapists with a wealth of clinical experience and knowledge to share. Most also hold a degree in a related subject. IHS also has a dedicated student support officer employed to help struggling students or those with specific learning difficulties. We ensure that all students have access to both staff and peer support whilst studying with IHS
- Flexible study options. Students can study in-class, solely online or a combination of the two (blended learning)
- Learn practical and saleable skills as well as the latest nutrition theories. Using the latest dietary analysis software – Nutritics – students learn to assess clients’ diets quickly and professionally. Body composition analysis includes in-depth training covering key body measurements and their links to health and disease. These all add potential income streams to you as a practitioner.
- Register with a professional body and insure yourself to practice. Graduates can join the Complementary Medical Association (CMA) or UK Health Coaches Association (UK based practitioners), giving them all the support they would expect from a professional registering body and insurance to practice – including allowing them to give basic supplementation advice to their clients. Insurance is also available directly via Balens for a number of European countries.
- Start seeing clients and earning immediately upon graduation. All consultation paperwork and client fact sheets are provided to graduates to help them get started in business straight away
- Upgrade your knowledge and skills whilst beginning your career as a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach. Graduates can transfer onto either the Diploma in Nutritional Therapy or further their behavioural change skills with the IHS Certificate in Health and Wellness Coaching depending on their interests and goals.
With 410 guided learning hours, including 6 lecture weekends in both London & Dublin, tutorials, home study and assignments, the Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching nutrition course programme offers students practical training in key areas – specifically designed to ensure IHS graduates have a unique and diverse set of skills. This allows them to work successfully with a broad range of clients over a number of consultations.
Students are organised into ‘buddy groups’ to allow them to practice key coaching and communication skills with their peers within a supportive environment.
All of the above are designed to produce confident and competent graduates ready for a successful career as a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach.
“It is amazing how alert and energised I feel since beginning the program. I’ve had a number of appointments with Lynne over the past two months re: dietary plan with the hope of continuing to lose weight and maintain a healthier lifestyle. From the moment of our first consultation I found I was very relaxed talking to Lynne, she listened and together we set realistic goals that suited my life and schedule. I found picking a small number of goals to start and increasing them as the weeks passed less overwhelming and easier to follow through. Lynne e-mailed and texted to see how I was getting on as the weeks progressed. Also sending on some interesting recipes and the introduction of coconut oil which is a big hit with not just me but the rest of the family. My starting weight was 187lbs. within the two months it’s down to 174lbs.” Testimonial of Arlene, Client of Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching Graduate
What will I study?
This industry recognised practitioner nutrition course covers an array of nutrition theory, alongside vital practical skills to ensure you have the skills to become a successful practitioner. Topics include:
Reflective Practice for Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaches
Considers the role of reflective and reflexive practice in the professional development of nutrition and lifestyle coaches. It also explores the importance of feedback.
Health and Dietary Trends in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching
Explores the definition of health and wellbeing, focusing specifically on how contemporary diets and lifestyles impact overall health. It also considers the principles and practice of nutrition and lifestyle coaching and how this fits into the healthcare model.
The Human Body, Nutrition and Health
Provides an introduction to the major organs and systems of the body and how they work, both independently and together, with a particular focus on maintaining homeostasis. It also begins to explore how nutrition can negatively impact health.
Professional Communication Skills
Introduces the learner to professional communication skills in nutrition and lifestyle coaching. It explores the need for research based decision making and how to use referencing appropriately.
Macronutrients in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching
Explores the dietary significance of macronutrients. It considers the role of macronutrients in meal planning and introduces techniques for analysing diet.
Weight Management in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching
Supports the learner in considering weight management as part of nutrition and lifestyle coaching. It will consider how energy is produced and consumed in the human body. It will also explore the area of weight management in the context of energy consumption and body composition recommendations alongside individual physiology and lifestyle.
Micronutrients and Phytonutrients in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching
Covers an initial exploration of micronutrients and phytonutrients. It also explores factors which could affect their absorption in the body and their contribution to a healthy diet.
Toxins and Health
Introduces the learner to the sources and potential consequences of exposure to both food based and environmental toxins. It also introduces evidence based theories on how to manage toxicity in the human body.
The Role of Food Groups in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching
Explores the classifications of different foods and the role of different food groups in a healthy diet. It encourages the learner to consider foods as a whole instead of their component parts; they will then apply this knowledge to nutritional planning.
Optimising Nutrition in Practice
Explores how to maximise the nutrient content and health benefits of an eating plan by using specific foods, food preparation techniques and food related products.
Food Production and Health
Explores how food is grown, produced, manufactured and labelled, as well as which bodies are responsible for overseeing the safety and traceability of food from farm to fork at European and national level.
Nutrition for Population Groups
Focuses on the unique nutritional needs of population groups whilst exploring how different dietary models may be used to enhance nutrition and health. It also considers how nutritional needs can be met irrespective of budget.
Coaching Skills for Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching
Focuses on the coaching and communication skills the learner will need to develop in order to become a nutrition and lifestyle coach. It considers how effective coaching can support individuals in effecting long term dietary change.
Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching in Practice
Allows the learner to explore how nutrition and lifestyle coaching can be used in different professional contexts.
This content makes the CI Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching (VRQ) nutrition course qualification the most comprehensive and practical nutrition coaching qualification available.
Please contact us for a lecture plan.
How is this course structured?
The CI Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching can be completed in-class, online or a mixture of the two (blended learning). Students are assigned a Nutritional Therapist personal tutor to mentor them through the entire course as well as online forums and tutorials to give them the support they need to successfully graduate
Starting in September and with 6 lecture weekends in Dublin and London, this is the most popular way of completing the Diploma in Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching.
Online & Blended Learning
With 3 available starting slots – September, February and May – studying this nutrition course online or via blended learning gives the flexibility to study wherever you are.
*New for those commencing studies in 2019*
Online students can attend as many lecture weekends as they wish for no extra charge – those starting in February or May are welcome to attend later lectures for revision purposes, as lectures run with the September intake.
Study Hours Required
Approximately 10 – 15 hours of study per week are required. All students are enrolled onto the IHS virtual learning environment. Here you will find all course material, forums, quizzes, assessments etc in one place to help you organise your study and study material as efficiently as possible. You will also upload all assessments here and can also use it to communicate directly with unit leaders, other members of staff and fellow students.
What if I need to put the course on hold?
Simply finish the unit you are on, take the time you need and then join a later cohort – just as long as you’re back within 2 years, this is no problem!
This is a lifelong learning nutrition course and students are accepted through a combination of academic qualifications and relevant life experience.
Normal minimum entry requirements
The minimum academic entry requirement for this nutrition course is 4 grade Cs (preferably including a science subject) at Leaving Certificate or 4 GCSEs grades A to C (preferably including a science subject). Equivalent international qualifications will also be accepted.
Prior Learning and Prior Experiential Learning
Applicants with Prior Learning and Experiential Prior Learning will also be considered. All knowledge, skills and competencies accumulated through life and work experience will be considered.
All applicants will be interviewed to determine their suitability for this nutrition course.
Includes €395 / £395 enrolment fee, not including Nutritics dietary analysis software – special discounted rate for IHS students