Our latest IHS favourite comes from Nutrition and Lifestyle Coaching graduate Sinead Gallagher. For us, eggs are the ultimate weekend brunch food and this Israeli recipe combines eggs with fabulous flavours and loads of antioxidant phytonutrients, so its an absolute winner.
Shakshuka is a dish of poached eggs in an aromatic tomato sauce. It is great with crusty bread or, for a healthier alternative, grilled wholemeal tortillas, avocados and hummus. It is the perfect balance of complex carbohydrates , protein and fats to help keep your blood sugar levels stable and you fuller for longer. There are 2 eggs per serving in this recipe, which provides 12g of protein. The tomatoes herbs and spices are packed with antioxidants such as lycopene, lutein and beta-carotene known to help prevent the development of many chronic diseases. Serving this dish with avocado adds hugely beneficial monounsaturated fats and fat soluble vitamins. This is also the kind of dish where you probably have most of the ingredients in your fridge or cupboard anyway so its quick, easy and cheap to prepare. Thanks Sinead!
Find more recipes and health tips from Sinead at her new Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/nutrilifeireland/.
You will need
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Small handful of diced chorizo (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of mild chilli powder
- 1 large handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Sprinkle of feta cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil gently in a medium frying pan.
- Cook the shallots and garlic in the oil on a low heat until shallots are soft.
- Add chorizo and fry on a low heat for a further few minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and heat through – may need to turn up the heat for this slightly.
- Add spices, stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Create 4 holes in the tomato sauce for the eggs and crack them into the pan
- Heat pan under the grill for few minutes until eggs are cooked.
- Sprinkle with coriander and feta cheese.
- Enjoy!!Serve with grilled tortilla strips, avocado and humous.